15th febuary

After researching into other websites we started researching webhosting and domains to gain a full understanding of websites and the media and also to find the correct web host and web domain that is suited best to my requirements.

What is web hosting?

I researched into web hosting, as I would need a web host to host my website. Web hosting allows individuals and organisations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web (www). Web hosts provide a space on their server usually for a fee, which provides the website with internet connectivity, allowing people to access the site, and the pages and information on it via the web hosts server. There are many different types of web hosting servers ranging from free hosting to high end hosting servers offering a large amount of space on the server for a cost.

I took a look at some of the different web hosts that were on offer, and the cost of each. I feel that I would go for a mid-priced host, but not a free host, or a very expensive host. This is because for my charity organisation, spending lots of money on an expensive host would be unnecessary and not beneficial to the organisation. Additionally a free web host would mean that there would be a lack of functions that the website can do, as opposed to a web host that costs. One particular host that stood out to me while researching was www.justhost.com which offers web hosting from £1.95 a month, an offer price compared to the usual £4.95. I feel that this website offered very cheap hosting but also had lots of different functions available; this would be the web host that I would use for my site.

What is a domain name?

A domain name is also needed for the website; the domain name is the web address, usually ending in .co.uk or .com. The web domain is an extra cost, and is usually offered by the web host that you are using. The web domain can be used with your web host, providing that no one is already using your chosen domain, and people can then access your site by typing in your domain, and they will be took straight